When times get tough, do you ever feel like giving up? When you hit bumpy roads in your relationships, at school, or in your work life, do you find yourself blaming other people or circumstances outside of your control?
It happens to all of us–this feeling that we don’t deserve to face hardship. “Things shouldn’t be going this way for me,” you might think to yourself. “I shouldn’t have to deal with this issue.”
Of course, when we step back from the situation, we know that isn’t true. God allows us to be challenged and to struggle for many reasons–some of which we may be able to discern, others that may not be clear to us until we get to heaven. Perhaps we face a problem that requires us to grow spiritually and put our hope in Him. Perhaps the challenges we face will teach us to rely on God and not ourself.
Think of Your Struggle as an Opportunity to Learn to Trust God More.
In Waiting on the Alchemist, Frankie, a soccer player at a school without a soccer team, is told by his mother, “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.” After feeling despondent and hopeless about his situation, Frankie decides to tackle his problem from a new perspective. Instead of seeing his challenging circumstances as limitations, he decides to think of them as opportunities.
In the same way, God wants us to trust Him. It’s not easy, but trusting Him requires a change of perspective. In Him, we are more than conquerors, regardless of the circumstance (Romans : 37-39).
WATCH Waiting on the Alchemist
Watch Waiting on the Alchemist on the Jesus Film App.
Download the Jesus Film App.
- Swipe down to “Short Films.”
- Open “Short Films,” and select the Videos tab on the mid-right.
- Swipe down and select Waiting on the Alchemist.
- Select the play icon.
- Watch and share!
Will You “Turn the Bad Into Good”?
Pick a discussion question below, and share your answer with us and other blog readers in the comments:
- Is there a character in the film you resonated with? If so, who?
- What two worlds do you see colliding for Frankie and what are the opposing views?
- What do you think his mom meant when she said that not going back (to school) isn’t going to change anything here”?
- How do you approach a situation when change is required? Have you seen instances where change has brought about something unexpectedly good?
- The big idea of The Alchemist is about a kid going on an adventure and finding his treasure at great odds. What treasure are you searching for?